Tuesday, September 7, 2010

This, to me, is so sad...

I'm not going to post any links to any stories about this because I am so bothered by what is happening.

There is a pastor/preacher/etc.  in Florida that has organized an event at which copies of the Quran will be burned.  This event is to take place on this Saturday, the 9th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the U.S.

I am really, really saddened by this.  When evaluating how I feel about issues that are very peripheral for me, I try to put myself in the story.  So, to me, this would be like a church/pastor deciding to burn copies of the Book of Mormon because a member of the LDS church went a little extreme and did something horrible.  That one person, or small group of persons, does not represent the whole.  I do not believe that the small group of persons that planned and carried out the events on 9/11/2001 truly represent the Muslim population. 

I have read much of the Quran and find that it is relevant in my life.  Do I believe it to be holy scripture, as I do the Bible and Book of Mormon?  No, I don't.  Does that mean that it can't still be a valuable book?  Of course not!

This pastor says he is planning to burn the Quran becase it is "not holy".  To who?  Obviously not to him.  But it certainly is to millions worldwide.  Has he stopped to think about how he would feel if a group decided to burn copies of the Bible because, in their view, it's "not holy"?

To commemerate the anniversary of 9/11 with such hate seems like such a step backward to me.  Wasn't America founded on freedom of religion?  Doesn't even the Statue of Liberty, a symbol of acceptance and welcome, invite all?  On the plaque at the Statue of Liberty, she calls herself the "Mother of Exiles" and the plaque also states, "From her beacon-hand glows world-wide welcome".

I am saddened for all of the Muslims in America who are living faithful, quiet lives yet being overshadowed by extremists.  I fear that the decision and this action of this one pastor are going to have huge consequences.  I pray not.

No comments:

Post a Comment