Thursday, August 26, 2010

Don't Suffer Like My Mom Did

I am pleased today with a report that came out yesterday about a new, HUGE advance in Melanoma treatment.  This new treatment has been proven effective in clinical trials for advanced stage melanoma.  It is my prayer that this science will continue to progress, so that others don't have to suffer like my Mom did.  Melanoma took her when she was too young, when I was too young and when Carson was too young.  Yes, this is a selfish list as I know I could list a lot more people who her death affected, but today, I'm just feeling sorry for myself.  I'm 34.  I should have a Mom alive.  I hope this new treatment will help this awful disease not take so many young people.

About this new treatment, a physician says:
"This therapy results in dramatic responses for patients -- it's phenomenal. I've been taking care of patients with advanced melanoma for 25 years and this is one of the most important breakthroughs we've seen," says Dr. Lynn Schuchter, professor of medicine at the Abramson Cancer Center at the University of Pennsylvania.

Here is the link to an article on abcnews.com.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my friend, perhaps there was a time that you told me your mother had passed away...but as I read this it feels like new information (the joys of having a poor memory!)

    And perhaps I've told you about my father's death, my adoption, etc. There are so very many areas we connect on :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete