Monday, February 8, 2010

Teaching Charitable Giving

How do you teach a child charitable giving?  I'm not really sure.  It's something I'd like my son to participate in, even if in a small way.

I've never been that parent that would stand up in church and say, "Little Carson reminded us last night to have our prayers".  He has done that, but honestly, only to be able to stay up *just* a little longer!

But, on Saturday, Carson came to me with $2 and said, "I want to give this to Haiti".  I was so touched.  He's getting it!  What's more, he came back later and wanted to change it to $5, then at the store, decided $4 would be just right!

I helped him pick out something from the list of OTC items needed and he bought 2 children's benadryl.  I explained to him how that would help Haiti; that those bottles of medicine would be given to moms and dads so they can take care of their children the way Chad and I take care of him and that it's not so easy for someone in Haiti to get something like Benadryl.  He seemed to get it.  I am so proud of him.

2 comments:

  1. WOW go Brooke. The only way you teach your children about Charity is to show them and you have. What a great mom you are. Oh and this is Karla Southern Just FYI. Come on over to my blog if you dare ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little sweetheart! I does sound like he is getting it! Teaching by example is the best way, nice work! We love that little boy!

    ReplyDelete