Monday, January 18, 2010

Feelin' Good about Food Storage

After nearly 15 years as a member of a church that emphasizes self-reliance, including food storage, I may finally be getting somewhere.  Every time I would attempt to tackle this project, I would get overwhelmed.  However, my in-laws gave us quite a bit of storage items for Christmas including toilet paper, paper towels, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soup, green beans, Lysol wipes, flour, cake mixes, macaroni and cheese and other items.  With such a good start, how could I not go forward?

So, since then, we have been bulking up our storage, a little here and a little there.  I finally figured out a system for rotating it (which is where I always started hyperventilating and quit before) and am so proud of the simplicity, I want to share it!

$1.00 photo album from Wal-Mart:



Then, Chad and I made a list of what we already had and decided what else we would like to have to make it "complete". Our first goal is to have enough food to last us 2 weeks in case of an emergency, natural or economic.
 

Then, I simply hand wrote index cards of the items, grouping together similar things, and put the number we wanted on hand in parenthesis. 


Next, I made a slip of index card for each item.  Therefore, if we want 2 syrups on hand, there are two syrup strips that go in the sleeve with the main card.



So...each time we use something from our storage, we take the corresponding slip out and set it aside to be added to the grocery list.  When replaced, slip goes back in the sleeve.  That way, things are rotated and replaced.  Here's the front sleeve of the photo album with all of the things that need to be bought for our stock to be "complete":



Oddly, this whole little thing gives me great peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment